Monday, May 11, 2009

I am getting a Canon A630 digital camera. What additional memory cards should I get?

I'm not sure about the difference between SD and SDHC memory cards. I am going on a two week vacation and I want to make sure I have enough memory for about 500 pictures.

I am getting a Canon A630 digital camera. What additional memory cards should I get?
Sandisk and Lexar come bundled with image recovery software that you copy onto your computer before you format the card. I am sure that the cards all pretty much perform the same, but these brands have a lifetime warranty for some of their products, so that makes me think they are built to higher standards. As far as day-to-day use, I have some generic and some of each brand I named and they all work. The contacts on the brand name cameras seem to have the equivalent of the "thunk" that you look for when you shut a car door to check it's quality, if you know what I mean. You don't wonder, "Is it in there right?" because it just feels right. I don't buy generics any more, though. I just end up getting them "with things" somehow.





You can use either SD or SDHC, but SDHC is probably overkill, which means you don't need to spend the money for the extra speed. I recommend a genuine Sandisk Ultra II (60X) or Extreme III (133X) of at least 1GB - preferably 2 GB - for your camera. Lexar is another excellent card supplier and they have the "Professional" 133X as well as the Platinum 80X to choose from. Both Lexar and Sandisk come with image recovery software and limited lifetime warranties.





Ignacio's idea of using two 1 GB cards is not a bad idea, either, although obviously, this will cost more than buying one 2 GB card.
Reply:For 500 pictures you're gonna need at least 2 GB worth of memory.





In your shoes I would probably buy a 2GB and a 1GB card. If you don't want to spend on the 2 GB then go for at least 2 1GB card.





I usually try to avoid putting all my eggs in one basket with memory cards.





And the kind? I believe the A630 accepts SDHC, so either kind will work. I would probably get whatever is cheaper. By the time you need more memory prices will have dropped again.





Hope this helps!





Ignacio


No comments:

Post a Comment